Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Altars, Spiritual Giants and the Cookie Monster


One of the primary aspects of my spiritual life is and always has been Altar Magick.  As a young child in the south it was very common to see “good christian folks” practicing this form of spirituality.  Sometimes they were aware of the ancient influences of the wise on their lovely mantels and center pieces, sometimes they were not, they kept an altar simply because their parents did.  Those who acclimated to the church and overall community were often complimented for their craftsmanship and decorating style, those who were not as “palatable” i.e. think the midwife or root worker of the burning times,  were often given sideways glances, yet few if any dared question or berate them.  

 I vividly remember one particular neighbor when I was a child whom I loved to visit.  Ms. Burkes, she was a widowed woman with two bad kids!  I always thought her sons were funny yet one was always in trouble and one was a mama’s boy like myself.  I would go to her house as soon as I could on Sunday’s.  Not only did she give me cookies, which in itself was enough, but she also had a beautiful mantle in a small room off of the living room.  It was always exciting to me to go see how she changed the mantle, at that time I had no understanding how she deemed it time to change, but she just did.  On her mantle there were a few staple items; a white candle and black candle located on each end of the mantle,  a pretty wooden star that sat in the middle and the cloth over the mantle would change with the seasons.  

Over the course of the year many items would appear, then as quickly be removed from the magickal surface.  She would often have articles torn, not cut, from the local paper placed about.  Those may have been obituaries, birth announcements or just an article about the local quarterback.  Ms. Burkes was very specific about where they were placed and that they remain there.  Often she would have ribbons, glitter and brightly colored pieces of painted wood chips that, to my eyes,  appeared to be scattered about, but in fact were meticulously placed. 

I would spend hours sitting  looking at that mantle.  As I grew older and my own spiritual life began to take shape, my gaze began to watch for entities or beings to enter and exit the mantle, more than just enjoying the pretty candles and trinkets.  My view of her as a kind, helpless old woman changed as I saw her as a powerful catalyst for good.  As I am writing this I think how much I would give just for a few of those items now.  The magick Ms. Burkes worked, in my mind still is working.  

My time with her ended when my family moved a few miles away.  Looking back on those times, I wish I had told her of my fondness for her, my respect for her.  I can still see her arthritic hands and feel them patting me on the top of the head.   One of my last times with her she called me over to her at the small kitchen table and took my fat little face in those worn hands and looked directly into my eyes and said, “Andrew, don’t let anyone tell you how to live your life, you will walk in the unusual ways of your god”.  While it was not understandable to my ten year old mind, my 48 year old memory feels the love and the prophetic wisdom in the old crones words. 

About a year ago I went back to my hometown with my partner to show him some of the locales that held my memories. I was sure the little house would be long gone but felt the need to connect energetically with it.  Driving through my old neighborhood I was shocked at how small everything was, the houses so old and the trees seemingly worn down.  As we rounded the corner there was Ms. Burkes house.  It was exactly how I remember it, yet it was surrounded by items, it would perhaps remind one of a scene from hoarders.  

Knowing that Ms. Burkes would be long gone, we pulled to the side of the street as I sat and drank in the scene.  As we were about to pull off, I noticed an older man standing around the back of the house looking at us, as our eyes met I knew immediately it was Ray, Ms. Burkes eldest, “good” son.  It has been about 35 years since I have seen him, but for an instant it was as if I were walking over to his house on a Saturday morning to visit his mom, as our eyes met he looked down.  He never looked back up, he just stood there.  

As an adult I value and honor Altar work.  I have seen time and again how it can focus intent and magnify magick.  At any given time I will have up to three altars going, and they change as the needs change, as the wheel of the year turns and as my mood dictates.  I also encourage anyone to keep an altar, if only an ancestral altar.  One word of advice, please be versed on what you are doing and how the items placed are symbols of power.  A misplaced item will not bring locust down upon you, however there are time tested ways to get the most of altar work.  

I have no idea if Ray has incorporated Altar work into his own spirituality, I like to think he has.  I can however speak to the influence that old crone had on a chubby faced, nosey little cookie monster so many years ago. Each time I work Altar magick for a friend or client I stand proudly on the shoulders of those who came before, I stand confidently upon the shoulders of Giants and for this I am thankful.  Every time I set a new altar for myself I do so under the watchful eye of those spiritual giants who came before me and some who are yet to incarnate.  I never take this for granted and am humbled by their assistance.  

If you have any questions about altar work or would like to arrange an appointment contact me.  I am delighted to help you with a basic altar or one that is specific to an issue or desire.  

Many blessings and all good things your way. 

Andrew 

No comments:

Post a Comment